The Credit and Investments Ombudsman (CIO) offers consumers an accessible, independent and fair external dispute resolution (EDR) service, approved by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC).
CIO has more than 23,000 participating financial services providers (FSPs) who operate in a variety of financial service sectors. Participants of the scheme include credit unions, building societies, non-bank lenders, mortgage and finance brokers, financial planners, investment managers, debt services and a wide range of other financial services and product providers.
The aim of the organisation is to provide consumers with a free and impartial dispute resolution service as an alternative to legal proceedings for resolving complaints with their financial services and product providers.
- Our Role — We provide a free, independent and impartial dispute resolution service. We facilitate the resolution of complaints between consumers and participants of our scheme. In doing so, we provide both consumers and financial services providers with an alternative to legal proceedings for resolving financial services disputes.
- About CIO — The Credit and Investments Ombudsman (CIO) offers consumers an accessible, independent and fair external dispute resolution (EDR) service, approved by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC).
- Our Board — The Board must consist of an equal number of Consumer and Industry Directors, and an independent Chair, under the CIO Constitution.
- Our Ombudsman — The Ombudsman is appointed by the CIO Board and is the decision-maker of the Credit and Investments Ombudsman, with overall management responsibility for the Credit and Investments Ombudsman.
- Our Deputy Ombudsman
- CIO Constitution — The Constitution governs CIO’s internal affairs.
- CIO Rules — Every participant of the CIO scheme is bound by, and must comply with CIO’s Rules.
- CIO Guidelines — The Guidelines explain how CIO’s Rules apply to a complaint and the policies CIO takes into account when exercising discretion under the Rules
- Feedback about CIO — Your feedback is important to us because it helps us to improve the dispute resolution service we provide.
- Consumer engagement — Our goal is to provide a free, fair and impartial dispute resolution scheme to all consumers regardless of their educational, financial or cultural backgrounds.
- Disclaimer — Any information contained on our website is for information purposes only. While we endeavour to keep this information up to date and correct, we make no warranties as to its accuracy or correctness. Any reliance you place on such information is at your own risk.