Making a Complaint


Step 1: Contact your financial services provider (FSP)

Internal Dispute Resolution (IDR)

Before we consider your complaint, the financial services provider should be given an opportunity to resolve the complaint with you directly first.

All participants of the Credit and Investments Ombudsman (CIO) scheme, previously known as Credit Ombudsman Service (CIO), are required to have an Internal Dispute Resolution (IDR) procedure for handling customer complaints.

  • We encourage you to contact the person you dealt with or the financial services provider’s customer complaints area first to discuss the issue and see if it can be resolved quickly by them.
  • A set of sample complaint letters are available on the consumer website of the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC). There are sample letters for complaints about most types of financial services or product related complaints such as credit, financial advice, savings accounts and insurance.
  • The financial services provider has up to 45 days to respond to your complaint. If your complaint is an application for financial hardship or if you have received a default notice, the financial service provider has 21 days to respond.

Click here to search for contact details of participants of the CIO scheme.

Step 2: Lodging your complaint with us

External Dispute Resolution (EDR)

If the complaint remains unresolved after you have received a response from your financial services provider, or if the financial services provider does not respond within the required time, you can lodge the complaint with us.

If you lodge a complaint with us before the financial services provider has had an opportunity to resolve the complaint with you directly, we will refer it to them before we can consider it further. As part of our registration process, we will contact the financial services provider and ask them to respond to you directly.


Extra search options

To lodge a complaint online, please type the name of the person or business that you are complaining about above. 
Alternatively, download a PDF complaint form and send it to us by email, fax or post.